Tinos is the fourth in size iskand of the Cyckades(Size 194,59 sqklm)after Naxos Andros and Paros,with a population of 8574 people divided in 62 settlements. It belongs to the Northern Cyclades and is located southeast of Andros and northwest of Mykonos. The distance between Andros and Tinos is half a mile and the nearest coast of Mykonos is 5 miles away. Southeast of the island of Tinos and 12 miles away lies Syros with the capital of the prefecture of the Cyclades,Ermoupolis.
Mount of Tsiknias in the east is the highest mountain of the island(726 m high). In the central part of the island rises the craggy rock of Exomvourgo(641m high)as well as the ancient and Venetian city and the valley of Patela. The shape of the island is oblong and triangular. The total length of the coastline (114 klm) presents a rich horizontal and vertical partition, with lots of creeks and capes. The climate is temperate. Winders are mild and the summer cool and windy. The temperature in winder rarely falls below zero aqnd in the summer it rarely does above 37.
Rainfalls are very intense in January and rare in July. The major characteristic of the climate during summer is dryness.
Panagia of Tinos
In Tinos lies as well as the Orthodox Church of PanagiaEuagelistria(Panagia of Tinos) inside which we can find the miraculous, according to the Orthodox Christian tradition, icon of Panagia(Virgin Mary). The aforementioned church celebrates on the 25th of March (Annunciation of Virgin Mary) however it constitutes the most popular destination for the 15th of August, when the Orthodox Church commemorates the death of the mother of Christ. This church was the first public building of the free state of Greece.
It was created during the years of the war of independence (1823-1831) with the money of the thousands ofwretched Greeks and immigrants. The rest of the complex was EfstrartiosEmmanouilKalonaris a renowned Greek scientist of the period.
He was from Tinos but he lined in Smyrna, that is why the people in Tinos called him “The Smyrniot”. It was he who designed the cloister and the preliminary adjacent buildings, the cloister and the architectural decoration. He was also in head of the works of the construction. Following the architectural patterns of the island and introducing in them innovations from the tradition of the west and of Minor Asia, he created a unique building, specially designed to receive pilgrims.